How to Properly Wear a Fascinator
Fascinators have continued to grow more popular over the years, and while there are many casual styles to choose from, it helps to know how to practice proper etiquette when wearing one.
How Fascinators are Worn
Women can wear fascinators in many ways, simply attaching the clip or headband to the head, but it’s normally worn affixed to the side or front of the head. Fascinators arguably look best when worn immediately above the eyebrow, and a veil attachment may be worn over the eye.
You can also wear a fascinator as a tiara or toward the rear of the head if the hair is in an updo or has a curled or chignon hairstyle.
The Best Ways to Style a Fascinator
Here are some basic guidelines to follow when wearing a fascinator:
- Keep the fascinator in proportion with the head, hairstyle, and body. For instance, try to avoid dainty fascinators if you have large hair, instead complementing it with a bigger fascinator.
- Maintain a simple hairstyle to keep it from distracting from the fascinator. Consider something like a slicked-back hairstyle or a simple ponytail.
- Stay classy and stylish. You don’t need to wear an enormous peacock feather to stand out. Instead, keep it simple but appealing.
How to Wear a Fascinator with a Comb
There are certain ways to properly wear a comb-based fascinator, including:
- Back combing or teasing the hair on the side of the head where you’ll wear the fascinator, which gives it a better base for gripping.
- Gently push the comb in the opposite direction prior to sliding it in place, which picks up and weaves more hair between the teeth of the comb for a better grip.
- Use hairspray to further help improve the fascinator’s grip, but make sure you don’t spray directly on the fascinator.
- Use a few hairpins to keep the comb firmly in place.
Wearing a Headband Fascinator
Typically, headband-based fascinators are small enough to discreetly attach to the head, which you can wear by first pulling the hair away from the face.
Elastic Strap Fascinators
If a fascinator uses an elastic strap, make sure you position it behind your head. You can place the elastic either around the nape of the neck or behind the ears, but always avoid wearing it under the chin. You may want to consider using a bobby pin to help with attachment.
Fascinators come with several rules for wearing them. First, it’s important to remember that others are unable to see through the fascinator, meaning you’ll want to make sure you’re not blocking anyone’s view when wearing them at an event. Avoid wearing fascinators at any event with stadium seating, including movie theaters and symphonies.
If you are taller than your escort, you may also consider wearing a shorter fascinator.
Keeping these tips in mind can help ensure you get the most out of your fascinators whenever you wear them for that special occasion.